Monday, July 03, 2006

against ed jargon

This is a minor complaint, but so it goes. I was talking with another first-year the other day about the silliness of all this education terminology and he told me that he had been chastised in his evaluation for writing his objective as "You will" instead of the canonical (and research-proven, I assume?) "The student will..." I'm all for displaying the topic for each day's lesson on the board and repeating it out loud--it's good sense to tell students what you're going to teach before you teach it. But why should the objective be phrased so awkwardly, so formally? It's as if we're encouraging students to embrace the depersonalized language of state standards. Of course, maybe that's the idea. Personally, I don't think my students should have to copy down "The student will analyze and evaluate vocabulary usage based on appropriateness for content and purpose" if they aren't even sure what "analyze and evaluate" means. My job, as I see it, is to spin that mass of jargon into a question they can understand and get excited about. But some teachers don't care about engaging their kids and maybe they're the reason for this rigidity on writing "The student will (Bloom's verb) etc." I can see how requiring teachers to put the same standard objectives on their board might keep them more accountable--it's far easier to compare and evaluate teachers if they're ostensibly teaching the exact same thing. Still, I can't see how it helps students to tell them what they're going to learn in the driest and most didactic manner possible.

3 Comments:

Blogger E.L.P. said...

I've been thinking a lot along the same lines. Thanks for writing about it. Now I know I'm not alone.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Sinister Mr. A said...

I agreee that "You will..." sounds a lot more student-oriented. But whatever. Not a make-or-break, is it?

10:28 PM  
Blogger Steel Magnolia said...

FYI in our JPS training yesterday, one teacher was taking a law class and mentioned that "The student will..." is no longer acceptable because somewhere in the world of law, the word "will" indicates a contract between two people and a legal document.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home